The Point-of-Care Ultrasound Certification Academy™ offers Clinical Certificates assessments in point-of-care ultrasound (POCUS), designed to help you demonstrate your clinical proficiency, excellence in your profession and your ongoing commitment to patient care and safety. Our assessments are available 24/7 from your own location.
All Certificates Offered
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) Point-of-Care Ultrasound (POCUS) Certificate 1
- Abdominal Trauma Point-of-Care Ultrasound (POCUS) Certificate 1, 2 and 3
- Cardiac Point-of-Care Ultrasound (POCUS) Certificate
- Gastrointestinal Point-of-Care Ultrasound (POCUS) Certificate
- Hepatobiliary/Spleen Point-of-Care Ultrasound (POCUS) Certificate
- Lower Extremity Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) Point-of-Care Ultrasound (POCUS) Certificate 1
- Lung Point-of-Care Ultrasound (POCUS) Certificate 1 and 2
- Musculoskeletal (MSK) Soft Tissue Point-of-Care Ultrasound (POCUS) Certificate
- Obstetrics/First Trimester Point-of-Care Ultrasound (POCUS) Certificate
- Renal/Genitourinary Point-of-Care Ultrasound (POCUS) Certificate
1 Includes components of the Rapid Ultrasound for Shock and Hypotension (RUSH) protocol.
2 Includes components of the Extended Focused Assessment with Sonography for Trauma (eFAST) protocol.
3 Includes components of the Focused Assessment with Sonography in Trauma (FAST) protocol.
Benefits of Certification:
Below are some key reasons why medical professionals choose to advance their credentials with the POCUS Certification Academy:
- Provides a critical edge in supporting patient safety
- Validates knowledge and expertise in POCUS
- Promotes continued growth and professional development
- Offers a competitive edge for your career
- Enhances your professional reputation
Applicants for the POCUS Certification Academy must meet all program prerequisites:
- Possess an active Point-of-Care Ultrasound Certification Academy POCUS Fundamentals Certificate or have successfully completed the SPI Examination within the last five (5) years OR hold a current APCA™/ARDMS™ credential. You can find more information on the Point-of-Care Ultrasound Certification Academy POCUS Fundamentals Certificate here.
- Be actively practicing and in good standing;
- Actively practicing in the clinical area(s); and
- Must have performed and participated in the interpretation of the specified number of content-specific Point-of-Care Ultrasound cases within the last two (2) years:
- 30 Cases:
- 25 Cases:
- Obstetrics/First Trimester (a combination of transvaginal and transabdominal)
- 20 Cases:
- Abdominal Trauma
- Lower Extremity Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
- Musculoskeletal (MSK) Soft Tissue
- Renal Genitourinary
- 15 Cases:
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA)
How to Apply
When you are ready to apply for your POCUS Certification package, please follow these steps:
- Log in to MY POCUS to set up your account and to receive your ID number.
- Complete the short online application. You will select the certificates and/or certification you wish to earn and attest that you meet the experience prerequisites.
- After the application, you may start your assessments immediately.
How to Earn Your POCUS Certification?
- Take Your Clinical Case Assessment
The Clinical Case-Based assessments were developed using a standard template that has been customized for each content area. Clinical scenarios are presented to candidates in audio and/or video formats (with closed-captioning and written scripts). Ultrasound media and assessment questions are presented at key points during the patient encounter.
- Submit Peer Evaluation
When applying for Clinical Certificates, you will be asked to provide the names and email addresses of three clinicians with a clinical background in ultrasound who are familiar with your ability to obtain clinically-relevant content-specific Point-of-Care Ultrasound images. The POCUS Certification Academy™ will contact some or all of these individuals to ask them to complete a short questionnaire regarding their impressions of your Point-of-Care Ultrasound abilities for the chosen clinical area.
You have 180 days to complete all of the on-demand, online Clinical Case Assessments, and Peer Evaluation. The assessment period begins when the voucher code you are provided is entered into the system during your application process for the Certification.