Point-of-Care Ultrasound (POCUS) Certification GuidePOINT-OF-CARE ULTRASOUND CERTIFICATION ACADEMY
Point-of-Care Ultrasound (POCUS) Certification Guide
Your next steps for achieving mastery in the “stethoscope of the 21st century”
Why POCUS is the Diagnostic Tool for Leading Edge Healthcare Professionals:
From physicians to emergency care workers to global health experts, practitioners around the world leverage proven ultrasound technology to provide effective diagnostic care.
POCUS devices, in the hands of certified professionals, build patient understanding and trust through real-time feedback.
Streamline diagnostic processes and reduce unnecessary procedures through effective use of POCUS in clinic, hospital, and frontline care settings.
How the POCUS Certification Academy Advances Standards in POCUS:
- The POCUS Certification Academy was founded by Inteleos® which includes the Alliance for Physician Certification and Advancement™ (APCA™) and the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography® (ARDMS®), the standard bearer in ultrasound credentials for more than 40 years.
- With the expert guidance of the POCUS Certification Academy Council Members, standards of excellence in POCUS use were established, and innovative certification and certificate solutions have been developed to meet the needs of global healthcare professionals.
- The POCUS Certification Academy supports these credentials with a growing body of educational resources and a community of professionals passionate in the use of POCUS.
Why POCUS Credentials Advance Effective Patient Care:
- The POCUS Certification Academy Council members consist of 9 subject matter experts committed to advancing the effective use of POCUS globally.
- The POCUS Fundamentals Certificate addresses eight important content domains for understanding the operation and applications of POCUS and serves as both an educational course and assessment.
- POCUS individual certificates and specialty certifications take the learning further through in-depth application and assessment of POCUS use
Join the Future of Health Care Today!
Become POCUS Certified.
“The POCUS Certification Academy is the leading POCUS certification body with healthcare professionals represented in over 100 countries,
paving the way with innovative,psychometrically-validated assessment delivery to give you real-world validation in POCUS.”
Ernesto Brauer, MD, FACP, FCCP, ABSM
POCUS Certification Academy Council
POCUS Fundamentals Certificate – Brief Overview
- Combining learning modules and assessments along the way, this certificate functions as an introductory course in POCUS.
- Foundational and complete, the certificate covers eight content domains and creates an excellent platform of knowledge for future POCUS specialization.
- Learn more about the POCUS Fundamentals Certificate here or watch the brief overview video below.
This short video will walk you through the application process:
Steps to earning your POCUS Certification
Complete the Online Application Form
- Sign up for a MY POCUS account here.
- Once an account is created and you are signed in, select “Apply for an Examination.”
- Select your desired exam. Note: the POCUS Fundamentals Certificate must be successfully completed to be eligible to apply for advanced certifications.
- the attestations, purchase the certificate and complete the brief application form.
- Receive an email notification with exam link.
- Follow the link, log into your My POCUS account, and complete the exam.
To apply, you will need to receive your ID Number (sign up or log into your existing MY POCUS account) and complete the short online application. You will select the Certificates and/or Certification you wish to earn and attest that you meet the experience prerequisites. Additional support can be found at the following links regarding How to Apply and Preparing for your Exam
Get started with the POCUS Fundamentals Certificate and then explore advanced certifications
Start with the Point-of-Care Ultrasound Fundamentals Certificate designed to provide an educational review on the basic physics and instrumentation of ultrasound.
After successfully completing your POCUS Fundamentals Certificate, validate your knowledge of advanced POCUS use with our individual certificates and specialty certifications.
Each individual certificate has a clinical focus area, while specialty certifications include a set group of clinical areas related to a medical specialty.
Claim your digital badges. Display your digital badges on social media and showcase your internationally recognized assessments. Connect with other POCUS users from around the globe who also promote safe and ethical practices.
Start with the
POCUS Fundamentals Certification
The POCUS Fundamentals Certification is a prerequisite to being able to take assessments for individual and specialty certifications.
POCUS FUNDAMENTALS CERTIFICATION DETAILS
By completing your two-part POCUS Fundamentals certification, you’ll demonstrate your knowledge in point-of-care ultrasound and be eligible to earn either other individual clinical POCUS Certifications and Advanced certifications.
Continuing medical education (CME) credits are currently unavailable. If you have any questions, please contact our team.
*While the POCUS Fundamentals Certificate is waived for clinicians who have passed the Sonography Principles & Instrumentation (SPI) examination within the last five (5) years or ARDMS® and APCA™ Certificate holders, this does not apply to earning CME credits.
EXPLORE EDUCATION PROVIDERS
Need help preparing for the assessment?
Explore our network POCUS Education Providers, experts in providing educational instruction for individuals or groups looking to get certified with POCUS.
POCUS Fundamentals CertifcationSubtitle goes Here
Get Started with POCUS Fundamentals
- The POCUS Fundamentals Certification is a 2 part assessment that will test your knowledge of point-of-care ultrasound.
- Once completed you’ll be eligible to register for Individual and Advanced Certifications.
Additional Resources and Support
Interested in Certifying your Entire Team?
Connect with us and we'll prepare a custom package to meet your group's training and certification needs.
By Victor V Rao MBBS, DMRD, RDMS Ob/Gyn and Abdomen (APCA) Pneumothorax is the presence of air outside the lung and in the pleural space. The pleural space is the...
By Alaa Elzarka MD, PhD, OB GYN Lecturer, Alexandria Faculty of Medicine Abnormal uterine bleeding is considered a common problem for women during their childbearing...
By Victor Rao MBBS, DMRD, RDMS (APCA) Introduction Transabdominal ultrasound is a quick and easy modality to clinically assess a patient presenting with signs and...
Rockville, MD, June 07, 2023 – Today the Inteleos Foundation and the POCUS Certification Academy under Inteleos announced...
Top Five FOAMed Resources for POCUS: A Medical Student Review Author: Mel Ebeling, BS Artifact? Attenuation? The Doppler Effect? Fanning vs. Sliding vs. Rocking? Let’s...
By: Victor V Rao MBBS, DMRD, RDMS- Abdomen, Ob/Gyn (APCA) Introduction The spleen is an intraabdominal organ and is the largest organ of the lymphatic system. The...
What is the benefit of volunteers? The question seems silly, but if we stop and think, it’s difficult to tally all the ways volunteers are crucial to our mission. It’s...
Victor V Rao MBBS, DMRD, RDMS- Abdomen, Ob/Gyn (APCA) Introduction Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is a medical condition in which a blood clot develops in a deep vein,...
In 1849, Elizabeth Blackwell became the first woman in America to earn a medical degree. When applying to schools, she was rejected at every institution except Geneva...